Monday, January 26, 2009

SoCal Rock and Roll Code Camp 01/2009

Thanks to all of you who made it to my Dependency Injection sessions at the code camp.  I really enjoyed doing the presentation.  This was the third time I've presented this stuff and I've finally got the content into the neighborhood of where I want it, so I'm particularly satisfied. 

I've gotten my slides cleaned up and saved off my sample code so I can post it on the code camp website.  You can download slides and sample code for each session from its page.  Here they are: Dependency Injection - Why Bother and Fun with Dependency Injection Containers.

I promised some links as well.  Here they are:

Google Testing Blog - This is a great blog with vast amounts of solid practical advice.  It is focused on Java rather than C#, but in most cases that won't be a problem.  The principles are pretty much the same. 

Particularly recommended here is the Guide: Writing Testable Code which appears to be the standards Google uses in code reviews.  It is full of specific guidance and before and after examples both of code and unit tests.  Again, mostly Java, but for the most part it shouldn't be a problem for C# developers.

The StructureMap site is full of good guidance on Dependency Injection Containers in general as well as StructureMap in particular.

You can find more about Autofac at Google Code.  The wiki is a good source of guidance for Autofac's various features.  Assuming the lambda syntax doesn't still make your brain hurt the samples are pretty easy to comprehend.

Don't forget Castle Windsor.

I spent a lot of time on the Single Responsibility Principle and the Open/Closed Principle.  Robert C. Martin's (Uncle Bob) original articles are available from his web site:  SRP and OCP.

Finally, a few great books:

Agile Principles, Patterns, and Practices in C#

Working Effectively with Legacy Code

Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code

As I said in the sessions, feel free to contact me if you have a question you think I can help you with.  It is a big topic.

Thank you again for attending.  I had a lot of fun. 

No comments: